Color, Concepts, and Design: Guest Karen Schloss
June 4th, 2019
1 hr 4 mins 22 secs
About this Episode
Our guest is Karen Schloss, who studies the way in which color is imbued with meaning through a lifetime of associations with objects (like bananas and fire trucks) and concepts (like love and politics). We discuss her research, including topics such as:
- What color should recycling bins be?
- A tool that can help designers use color-concept associations in their work
- The "blueberry problem" (why is is that blueberries aren't very blue?)
- How to market a blue banana
- What color heaven and hell should be
Dr. Karen Schloss's lab at the Wisconsin Institute for Discovery
Colorgorical: A color-concept tool
Our paper for discussion: "Color inference in visual communication: the meaning of colors in recycling"